Hello MMS Families!
We hope everyone had a restful summer break. We are currently updating/revising our June plans to meet all new provincial and divisional guidelines. Our school office officially opens on August 26, 2020.
By Friday, August 28, 2020 you will receive an MMS specific plan regarding our safe start up to school on September 9. Over this week MMS staff will be working on the following to get ready:
- Setting up our classrooms to ensure students maintain a physical distance of at least 1 meter.
- Developing cohorts at each grade level. This will be a maximum of two homerooms that follow a similar schedule throughout the day
- Creating a new schedule as we are adding an additional teacher to reduce class sizes at the grade 7 level
- Reviewing grade 7 homeroom lists to create a 4th homeroom
- Modifying our bell schedule to ensure MMS can stagger entrance, breaks and dismissal. This will include identifying specific entrances and exits for each cohort.
- Reviewing homeroom lists at grade 8 to ensure students are grouped by option classes and cohorts. Some students at the grade 8 level may be switching homerooms to ensure we can maintain cohorts.
- Developing a plan for our Meet the Teacher event to kick off the school year. There will be two options: scheduled individual meetings with families or online meetings.
- Updating the signage and floor markings to ensure students can easily move through their day safely.
- Ensuring there are clear expectations posted regarding the use of masks. All students and staff must wear a mask at all times when inside the school when 2 meters of physical distancing can not be maintained.
- Updating our supervision schedule to ensure students maintain their distance and manage themselves safely while at school.
- Updating our Student Handbook to ensure expectations are clear.
- All updates will be communicated by email as well as be posted to our website and social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter)
We all have some anxiety to start this year but we are and will work hard to ensure we are ready and get our school started safely. We have the opportunity to provide some new and exciting opportunities for our kids despite some of the limitations that are in place. We are excited to get started and welcome our kids back to MMS on September 9, 2020.
We are sure there are many questions regarding the safe start up to school. Please reach out as you need so we can answer any questions you may have. We have a caring and dedicated staff to ensure we can start school feeling confident about safety, learning and teaching.